Why HIPAA Compliant Mobile Messaging Matters for Your Healthcare Organization
The ubiquity of mobile devices has enabled more organizations to use SMS messaging as a preferred method of communication among employees.
This is great news for the healthcare industry, but only to the extent that providers and organizations are implementing HIPAA compliant mobile messaging solutions.
Recent changes to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) have raised questions about whether or not SMS messaging is a HIPAA compliant form of communications. The fact of the matter is that traditional SMS messaging is not. Here's why:
- Traditional SMS messaging is not secure and sensitive information transmitted between users is vulnerable to unauthorized access. There is also a risk of sending a message to someone unintentionally.
- SMS messages are not encrypted when they are on a wireless provider's server.
- Information and messages can remain on senders' or receivers' phones, and are only deleted when users make a specific action.
- The risk of third-party usage or theft of a device increases the vulnerability of information stored on devices.
For healthcare organizations to truly benefit from employees using mobile devices for simpler communications, they need to consider a messaging solution that aligns with HIPAA requirements. These requirements ensure that healthcare personnel can safely communicate patient information via a mobile device. The information remains confidential and it is not vulnerable to unauthorized third-party viewing.
Key Features of HIPAA Compliant Mobile Messaging
The adoption of new technology can make a big difference for any organization interested in maximizing operational efficiency. Healthcare organizations that make the switch to a mobile messaging platform can experience better communication among employees and an increase in productivity.
When choosing a solution that is the right fit for your organization, it's important to know the key features of today's leading HIPAA compliant messaging solutions:
- Robust Security Measures -- HIPAA requires that messages containing electronic personal health information (ePHI) are encrypted with a unique key, from the moment they leave senders' devices to the moment they are arrive on recipients' devices.
- Data-Storage Centers -- To comply with HIPAA regulations, messages containing sensitive patient health information should be hosted in a centralized data repository, e.g., a secure, cloud-based storage system.
- Message Control and Management -- A HIPAA compliant mobile messaging solution must have the capability for account administrators to record and audit all message activity containing ePHI. Administrators should also have the ability to retrieve and remotely delete data.
Take Advantage of HIPAA Compliant Mobile Messaging with NetSfere
NetSfere helps organizations enhance internal communications through secure SMS messaging. By implementing a HIPAA compliant mobile messaging solution, hospitals, practices and healthcare insurance providers can benefit from optimized internal communications, better organizational efficiency and full HIPAA compliance.